Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Beautiful Michigan

Tonight is our last night in our birth state and the only state we've ever lived in - Michigan.  For me it is a mix of reflection of what lies behind us and anticipation of what lies ahead as I update the blog this evening.  We are currently in Frankfort, MI and plan to cross Lake Michigan to Sturgeon Bay, WI tomorrow.  Once we get to Sturgeon Bay we will stay put until Friday.  Happily the switching of the fuel intake lines in Mackinaw City fixed the fuel usage issue and we are level in both tanks for the first time since we purchased the boat.  I swear Bert is a genius!!!

The last couple days have been just beautiful in northern Michigan.  Pictures don't do the scenery justice.  It is breathtaking to see the shoreline of Michigan from the water.  We've had two great travel days with sunny skies and calm waters.  I can't believe how deep the lakes are.  At one point yesterday in Lake Michigan, the depth finder read 507 feet!!!!!  It boggled my mind to think how far down the bottom actually was.

I took a few pictures of the scenery yesterday as we moved from Mackinaw City to Leland, MI, which is also known as Fish Town.  It is a great little place on the Leelanau Peninsula.  In the morning when the sun shines across the water, it is like a very cold winter morning when the sun shines on the snow like diamonds.

Before we pass under the bridge - Still in Lake Huron

After we pass under the bridge - Now on Lake Michigan

Sun on the water in the morning looks like sparkling diamonds

Lake Michigan Shoreline


Fish Town in Leland

Fish Town in Leland

 Today we passed by both North and South Manitou Islands.  South Manitou has a visible shipwreck.  It is the SS Francisco Morazan (1922) which ran aground on Nov 29, 1960 and was declared a total loss.  We were about three miles away, but it was pretty impressive through the binoculars.  I've never seen a shipwreck above the waterline before, especially not this far out of the water!  Below is a picture I found on the Internet of it.


SS Francisco Morazan wrecked off South Manitou Island

Just three blocks from the marina is the Lake Michigan beach.  We got to stand in the sand and I put my feet in the water of Lake Michigan one last time as we watched the sun set over the Lake.  It was a perfect last night in Michigan.

Nomie at the beach

Lake Michigan Shoreline

A perfect Lake Michigan sunset at the beach
PS:  Last Thursday, 08-23-12, we saw Canadian Warship 708 in Fake Presque Isle Harbor.  I googled it to get a better picture.   This picture was taken on 08-24-12 in Port Huron and as of today, it is located in Cleveland, OH.  It was quite unexpected to see it tucked away in the harbor last Thursday.

Canadian Warship 708
PSS:  You might wonder why we are staying put for a day in Sturgeon Bay.  Well because we will be attending a fish boil on Thursday evening.  From what I've been reading fish boils are pretty famous in Door Peninsula and not to be missed.  We'll see . . . .

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Lake Michigan IS my favorite, after all. I'm so happy your travels are so happy :) Enjoy your fish boil. You know I would never touch the stuff.

    Miss you both.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hilary! So great to see and follow your and Bert's adventures!! I admit my eyes glaze over on the technical stuff but I love the detail and pics! Sounds like things are going great. I hope you make it safely across Lake Michigan. Be safe - Patty

    ReplyDelete